At Coleg Cymunedol Y Dderwen we understand that the move to secondary school can be stressful for parents and students alike. We do all we can to reassure and support students, whilst helping them to understand and respond to new challenges and opportunities.
We work in close collaboration with our partner primary schools which includes the active
involvement of our teachers alongside our Primary colleagues to ensure a smooth transition.
We have a planned transition programme to ease the move from Primary to Secondary School.
Below are some of the programmes main features:
- During the Autumn term we hold an open evening to give you and your child a chance to see our outstanding facilities and meet with staff.
- We meet with the Headteachers of the primary schools to discuss transition, curriculum matters and the welfare and progress of students.
- Students are invited to Coleg Cymunedol Y Dderwen in each term to attend a specialist lesson e.g Science, Design & Technology.
- We personally visit each primary school along with some year 7 students who can give first hand advice on transition.
- During the summer term students are invited to spend two days at Coleg Cymunedol Y Dderwen giving them a chance to meet staff and to get to know their surroundings.
We look forward to supporting you and your child on their most exciting journey yet.